-(1ATR)-
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

assault rifles

2 posters

Go down

assault rifles Empty assault rifles

Post  -(1ATR)-Porky Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:56 pm

I've been looking into assault rifles lately but, its kind of hard to find information on them. I want to get one as soon as I can but I don't know what to get so, what kind/brands do you guys prefer? I really like this bushmaster . What do you think?
-(1ATR)-Porky
-(1ATR)-Porky

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post  -(1ATR)-pinkmist Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:58 pm

Porky,
I like Bushmaster for the civilian AR15 platform rifle. Also check out Rock River arms they also make quality stuff. Both of these companies trade in a variant of the M16. But before you buy, check out the rifles from the following. Sig Sauer, Hechler and Koch (aka. H and K) and FN Herstal.
These are Swiss, German and Belgian companies who continue to make great weapons.
Just another thought...
Good luck
-(1ATR)-pinkmist
-(1ATR)-pinkmist

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2008-02-16

Back to top Go down

assault rifles Empty Re: assault rifles

Post  -(1ATR)-Porky Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:52 pm

Thanks pink.

I would also like to know what to consider when buying. Like what caliber ammunition is easiest/cheapest to find. Do you guys reload? Is it easy to reload ammo?
-(1ATR)-Porky
-(1ATR)-Porky

Back to top Go down

Post  -(1ATR)-pinkmist Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:07 am

Any time Porky.

I like 5.56 x 45 ( .223 remington). It's readily available as surplus now. Many manufacturers are producing it and it's easy to reload. I personally don't reload anymore, it's too time consuming for me and surplus is available. Getting set up with reloading isn't too hard, lots of forums and blogs on the subject. Also, ask questions from your local supplier, they are usually somewhat helpful in getting the initial setup working.
The next easy accessible round is 7.62 x 51 (.308 winchester). it has lots of smackdown and more accurate at long ranges. The Bushmaster carbine in .223 is a good short to medium range weapon with plenty of firepower for most actual firefights and a lot of plinking and varmitting. I can consistently shoot mine scoped at 300M in a 2.5 in group with stock 55 grain FMJ surplus. With a longer barrel and heavier ammo with slower twist you can easily reach 600M plus. Friends of mine shoot Camp Perry every year on their 1000M range with it.

My advice is to get the Bushmaster. It's a great entry level rifle in this category. You'll have a blast shooting it.
-(1ATR)-pinkmist
-(1ATR)-pinkmist

Back to top Go down

Post  -(1ATR)-Porky Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:38 pm

I've seen 5.56X# and 7.62X# with different numbers. is that the length? and does it matter what that number is? Is there any difference between .223 and 5.56. i've heard 5.56 has higher pressures. Does it matter with that bushmaster?
-(1ATR)-Porky
-(1ATR)-Porky

Back to top Go down

Post  -(1ATR)-pinkmist Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:14 am

Yes, first number is diameter, second is length. Standard 5.56 is equal to .223. You can run both types through the Bushmaster. Pressures aren't different enough to matter in that particular rifle.
All rifles shoot a specific type of ammunition and are usually not interchangeable.
.223 is the SAME length as 5.56 x 45. Those two are interchangeable
Hope that helps porky..
-(1ATR)-pinkmist
-(1ATR)-pinkmist

Back to top Go down

Post  -(1ATR)-Porky Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:17 pm

Yea it does, thanks.
-(1ATR)-Porky
-(1ATR)-Porky